Australian opals were the big attraction at the 2009 International Opal Jewellery Design Awards in Lightning Ridge.
The biannual Awards, which promote freeform and/or undulating surface opals, are one of the most prestigious opal jewellery design competitions in the world.
The winners at the 2009 competition were:
- Prestige professional Jeweller Award – ‘Sunburst’ pendant by Col Edwards from Want Jewellery (pictured)
- Haute Joaillerie Award – ‘By the Sea’ necklace by Margot McKinney from McKinney Jewellers
- Apprentice Award – ‘The Opal Hair Pin’ by Joe Coffey from Guilians
- Non-Professional Jeweller Award – ‘Madam Butterfly’ brooch by Mytyl Negi-Davis-Gibson
- Professional Carving Award (Figurative) – ‘Opera House’ by Christine Roussel
- Professional Carving Award (Abstract) – ‘She Sells Sea Shells’ by Christine Roussel
- Non-professional Carving Award (Figurative) – ‘Friendship’ by Joe Belicka
- Non-professional Carving Award (Abstract) – ‘Stingray’ by Sue Tomlinson
- Objet D’ Art (professional) Award – ‘Honey of the New World’ by Ewen Riley from Michael Hill Jewellers
- Objet D’ Art (non-professional) Award – ‘Seachange’ by Fernanda De Boer
- Fantasy Award – ‘Potch Princess’ by Ian Bell
- Jewellery Hand Sketch Award – ‘Fruits of the Earth’ by Louise Gore-Langton
For more information visit www.iojdaa.com.au